Wednesday 20 May 2009

Mama's Birthday

 

I got through a stuck place this morning in my writing of the introduction to my book, S-T-U-C-K. I was inspired to go to the line with it this morning, had wrestled with so many drafts, crossings out, deletings.

I think it's because it's my mother's birthday today. She would have been 98 today, dear 'Able' Aline, our nickname for her. She had 10 children, plus my father, probably the 11th at times. She had talent as a writer, wrote with multiple carbon copies her 'Dear Children' letters to keep the ten of us children in touch before photocopies, before the internet.

She and my father would have been proud of the event in April where we were honoured by our high school Alumni Association as the family with the most graduates, 9 plus our dear sister Mary, who perhaps today would have gone to Lamar High School in Houston, Texas as a person with special needs.

Here's a photo of the ten of us with the plaque for the classroom named in honour of our parents, Aline and Foley Santamaria, by their nine children who graduated from Lamar High School.

Happy Birthday, Mama! You made such a difference in the world, and we are a tribute to you and to Daddy.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: