Thursday 12 February 2009

Activism at www.bornagainamerican.org.

Look at this initiative from the US, 'Born Again American'. When I first looked at it, I thought cynically, 'Here's something corny' , being a unrepentant snob. Then I looked at the website and saw the message: Get involved.
Here are their next steps:
-Declare Yourself
Register & Vote

-Volunteer in
Your Community

-Talk Back To Your
Elected Officials

-Learn About
Your Freedoms

And for 'About Us'
Born Again American is committed to the rebirth and re-expression of citizenship through informed and thoughtful activism.

Which includes their results as a not for profit, bipartisan organisation:
dedicated to increasing young voter participation and civic involvement. Declare Yourself’s on-line voter registration tool has been used by almost four million people since 2004.

So I suggest that we look at Born Again American's spirit and their way of communicating, enabling people to take small steps. We could do with more involvement in the UK, less cyniciam. Born Again American is isolationist, unfortunately an American tendency for many, and it is good to get people to stand up and be counted.

I'd be interested to know what Americans living in the US think about 'Born Again American' as I realise how out of touch I am with the US other than what I read in The Economist and hear on BBC Radio 4.

No comments: