Tuesday 9 December 2008

Everyday Miracles

Lots of gloom about with media hype about the credit crunch. Makes it easy to ignore miracles that happen when we look closely, put things into perspective, see the brightness. Monday I had a slight concern so went off first thing to my GP's 'drop in' surgery in Soho, unique for being bi-lingual Chinese and English. The cheerful Chinese-British receptionist said 'Phyllis' straight away without having to ask my name. I congratulated her and she replied, 'So many people are amazed at my memory. I tell them to watch out because I remember what they do as well as their names.' We had a laugh, and no sooner had my bottom hit the chair then the GP, a French-British one, called 'SantaMaria' and I went in to see him. We had a good consultation, my concern was addressed and off I went.
So often people are complaining about Britain's National Health Service, as if complaining were a national disease that the NHS also has to cure. We often forget to see the great service, extraordinary in fact, as my Monday morning example illustrates. It's hailed as one of the best practices in the UK, one that's bi-lingual Chinese-English with the French-British doctor learning Chinese as well. I know the NHS has its imperfections, and I know excellence when I see it as I did Monday morning.
By the way Dr Brassey apologised during the consultation for taking a call from a patient stuck in Bankok airport who needed his help. How's that for service, helping someone half way across the world!

No comments: